As the New Year approaches I believe in spiritually cleansing and clearing out all of the old: all the anxiety, pain, fear, anger, and disappointments — anything and everything that is not life-sustaining — to make room for the New Year and all of the amazing blessings it intends to bring into my life.
One of my favorite year-end rituals for release is to perform is a Burning Bowl ceremony where I speak directly to my mountain (challenges), and I will share my process with you in just a moment.
But for now, know this…
For whatever circumstance you’ve experienced in 2013 (or perhaps years before): It may seem like it’s going to be here for an eternity and you may not see how you could ever rise above it. All the left-brain, logical facts may tell you that it’s impossible. But, what I want you to know is that where you are, is not permanent. Where there is Gods will, there is a way.
Nature abhors a vacuum and once you have taken the time to authentically acknowledge your mountain (versus trying to suppress It – which only makes It more prevalent), speak to It and COMMAND It to leave, then intentionally R-E-L-E-A-S-E It, the universe will rush in to fill the void with answered prayer.
The Burning Bowl: How to Speak to Your Mountain
1. Sit quietly where you will not be disturbed. Close your eyes and visualize each of the challenges from 2013 (or prior) that you would like to release.
2. Make two handwritten list:
- List #1 – List of Release: Write a list of the essence of the experiences, circumstances, relationships, behaviors, emotions, and places that you want to release from your heart and life, i.e., sickness, pain, debt, confusion, anger, fear, sadness, failure, judgment, criticism, dishonesty, thoughts of lack, limitation, or unworthiness. Try to limit your list to one word descriptions.
- List #2 – List of Desire: Review your List of Release, then begin writing a second list containing the exact opposite – everything you desire to have in your life.
3. On December 31st, take your List of Release, in privacy, stand in front of a mirror, look yourself in the eyes, then speak — with as much emotion as you can — each item, belief, behavior, or pattern out loud and follow it by speaking the following prayer of denial:
DENY these challenges with every emotion you can muster! With Prayers of Denial, you are saying, “I will NOT tolerate this experience as necessary, lasting, or right; I now dissolve any negative stronghold they have on my life; I now claim my highest good. This is my time!”
There’s no coincidence that God chose a mountain to represent our challenges. Mountains are massive and seem permanent, as if they’ll exist forever. But, if you learn to speak to your mountain, God has promised it will be removed. (Matthew 17:20)
Stop speaking about your challenges and speak directly to them, command that they cease to exist!
By using the Law of Command, you are speaking directly to your mountain – telling it – “Be thou removed! I will not be defeated.” Declare to that dis-ease, or pain, or fear, or addiction, or debt: “With the power of the Spirit that lives within me, I WILL DEFEAT YOU!” And it will be done.
4. Now, burn the List of Release in a fire-safe container, within a well-ventilated environment. As it burns, affirm this out loud:
5. After you have burned your List of Release, affirm your faith by speaking the following affirmation out loud:
6. On January 1st, complete your List of Desire then sign, date and store it in a sacred (secret) place.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
– Philippians 4:13
God’s promises are built upon a rock and He will never forsake you.
See it in your mind’s eye. Feel it in your soul. Know it in your heart. Expect it in your life.
This is your year. Something good is about to happen to you. Claim it!
Happy New Year!